Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sold!

Today my kids and I went on an adventure! We went to a real live pro-FESH-in-al Auction!

I was kind of nervous because I've never gone to a REAL auction, with those little numbers and the fast-talkin' dudes and all that...but my son is on a hunt for pre-war Lionel trains...and the ad we saw in the paper said trains...so we decided to give it a peek.

WOW!!!!!! We had SOOOO much fun! We got there and asked around what's what and how-to...and we got all "Official" with our little numbers and jumped right in! Turned out the trains were beautiful, but too new for our collection...so we bought a beautiful little Victorian-looking mirror for $2 and that was it. We bid on a box of train books, but lost...and also bid on a box of horse stuff (hat, brushes, hoof pick, etc...) and lost on that too. I don't yet have a horse, so why spend the money on the fixin's if I don't even have the ol' pony yet?

We almost bought a front-end loader for the husband...shoot, what a Father's Day gift THAT would have been, but I dropped out when the bidding went over $100. Then we were tempted to bid on the Winnebago Camper Mobile home thing...it was so cool. I could live in one of those things, I promise you. Beats paying a mortgage! And we could have walked away with it for only $5,500...but I know the husband would have had me committed for a very long time if I came home with an RV. But oh, I was so tempted.

People get kind of...well...crazy at these sales. What an interesting cross-section of people! Hundreds of cars, from Mercedes and Porsches to '76 Camaros and '69 pick-up trucks with the fender hanging off and more rust than I can tell you about...and the junk these people bought...oh my! It was fun just to be there and WATCH!

From there, we drove south down to Wilmington, IL, which is the coolest little village of Antique stores, right along the famous Route 66. We got to see "Elvis" perform at the community park and we browsed the antique treasure stores for hours! Tomorrow I'll take some pics of the treasures we found! Some trains, a wicker set for the porch, an interesting planter that I wanted for my herb garden and some fun old dress-up clothes for my Em.

Well, it's been a long, FUN day and we are all ready to hit the hay...G'night!

post signature

1 comment:

JeanMac said...

Oh, Trish, what a great day.Think you should have bot the RV:)
Wayne and I used to go to sales - had so much fun but quit as the house was bulging with our "prizes" - glad you had a good day. Sending hugs.